Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Insulin in the Workplace

It was right at the beginning of a long shift, when my pump vibrated, setting me into a panic. I remembered that my pump was alarming about it's low reservoir when I woke up in the morning. I pushed it off a little bit, and another bit, and suddenly I was at work with an empty pump and my nearest insulin bottle half hour away. Sigh. Through the good grace of my coworker, who agreed to cover for me while I went to get it, I retrieved my insulin. (Maybe it was the fear I would die or something while I was at work...) But it got me thinking. I wouldn't leave insulin in the company fridge for a number of reasons. 
>I am not ready to scream to the world "I have diabetes"
>I am not always on site so I don't know how handy it would be,
>There is a cleaning lady who goes through it once a week and tosses everything...

I usually keep the current bottle in my bag, but that strategy doesn't work very well if you have a bunch of different bags and enjoy switching. I have a cubby but insulin would spoil in it, so that idea is out. Any suggestions?

6 comments:

Stephanie Roth said...

My son is T1 and uses a pump. Even before we switched to the pump we used the cartridges for the insulin pens as our 'vials'.
The upshot of them, aside from the fact that you more insulin for your money (at least when dealing with kids) is that they are designed to be 'outside', as it were, for up to 28 days.
They fit really easily, and w/o any bulk, into the zipper pocket of the BG carrying case (we use OneTouch Ultra).
You may think to get a box of them and just tuck one cart away in your BG case. If you find after 20 days you're not going to need it for an emergency, just use it to fill up a reservoir cartridge. One whole pen cart will fill almost 2 pump carts.
Hope this helps.

M F said...

I can totally relate... It has happened to me several times that I forgot my pen at home:( It's no fun!!

Anonymous said...

Insulin can be kept outside of a fridge at room temperature for 30 days. I'm not sure why many people think it needs to be always cool. As long as it is not freezing or boiling, it's fine. Think about it, your pump is NOT "air-conditioned" and all insulin has the same preservatives. Lantus is the exception, it is slightly more unstable and should be kept cool. Hope this helps. I never keep my insulin in the fridge, ever. Also, if you pump, you should never leave home without a back up. ;)

Bob Hawkinson said...

I am sending this as you state that you like to laugh....I agree. Check out my newest Diabetes Humor video about cgms at www.youtube.com/1diabetic or my most recent....The Misadventures of Lil' Johnny.... I hope you like it and the others. An attempt to poke diabetes with a stick...Bob

Keep smiling......

little sheep said...

Karpoozi, you have me in stiches!! (and yes, i do get the jokes! i know enough about it...) i haven't had a chance to read the whole thing yet, just this post, june, july and part of august, but i had to tell you how much i laughed...

Karpoozi said...

Thanks so much little sheep! I am really happy to hear that. I have an odd sense of humor so I wonder if other people really find me funny....

Thanks guys for your suggestions! I don't want to leave a whole vile of insulin at work, but I am going to leave a pen there. I guess 30 days of peace and mind is worth the risk of loosing 300 units of insulin.